Did You Know?
- An estimated 4.6 million Americans have an intellectual or developmental disability
- About 1 in 6, or 15%, of children aged 3-17 in the US, have one or more developmental disabilities.
- Children in families who live below the federal poverty line have a higher prevalence of developmental disabilities.
- In 2013, there were over 14,000 students in special education in Kent County.
- In 2013, The Arc Kent County served over 3,000 individuals and families.
- Self-determination is a philosophy that says people with disabilities should have the freedom to decide how to live their lives--just like everyone else in the community.